Beginning with a trip to my grandfather’s ancestral home of Sarospatak, Hungary in 2007 I have been on the hunt for more information about Carl Schwartz aka Kalman Marki. It has been, in some cases, like searching for six needles in six separate haystacks.
What I can say now is my grandfather’s influence was more important than I knew and his connections reached the highest level of the Hungarian government. Perhaps my Mom and Dad knew more. However I believe I have uncovered some information which even they did not know. They certainly did not share it with us kids!
Some of the topics include:
- Bela Lugosi – his relationship to my grandfather and his politics.
- Louis Weinstock – his contributions to social change.
- Hugo Gellert – his art and social activism.
- Eugene Weinstock – his writings.
- Kalman Marki – my grandfather’s influence and relationships.
- Hungarian immigrants to the U.S. and their contributions.
- Hungarian-American relations in the 20th century.
- The CPUSA from 1920 to 1970.
- Progressive politics and the Labor Movement in the USA, 1920-1950.
- Federal (FBI, HUAC) and state government actions.